Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What I'm Reading...

My sis-in-law (who is imminently due with a new baby and thus faces the challenge of a newborn + toddler...she is a stronger woman than I) recommended a new book for me to read.
It is called "Bringing up Bebe" by Pamela Druckerman (see below).
In short, it is the telling of an American journalist's perspective on French child rearing.
Also, it is awesome. Seriously.
It reminds me a lot of another one of my favorite books "A Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy." The book is an honest look at another culture's child-rearing attitudes and where it gets them. I think I like books like these because they are both informational and informative. Sort of like "babywise" meets "happiest baby on the block" meets your best friend.
As K gets older, I find parenting to be changing (no surprise) and it is becoming less about making sure she doesn't eat dog poop to more about teaching her to be a part of our family. I am constantly surprised by both what she does (and doesn't do). She is a tidy little lady who doesn't seem to mind picking up, but I am not as successful at teaching her good table skills.
One of the big things that Druckerman seems to emphasize about the difference between American and French parenting is the absence, and presence, respectively of "Waiting." I found this especially poignant as I am often responding to K whenever asked; the French, however, seem to have a big role for teaching their kids to "wait," even just for a response from Mom. Whether the "wait" is because mom is talking, eating, going the bathroom, whatever, the point is to try to teach the kiddos that although they are important, they may have to wait in line if other things are going on that are important to Mom.
Now this isn't an end-all be-all guide to parenting, I think it is a valuable perspective to add especially as K becomes older and interrupts our meals by pointing to my armpit hair and asking "What's that???"
Awesome. The joys of motherhood.
Let me know what you all think...

2 comments:

Kathryn Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn Smith said...

I bought that book to give as a present, but it was so good I read the whole thing (while being careful not to bend the pages or the spine). Haha...I guess I'm giving a used present. But I really liked the book, too. It seemed like it had some good advice for helping kids to realize they're not the only people in the world.