Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Story Behind the Name

Hi Friends! So I'm back with the big news! We had a baby :-)
I'm going to post a few blogs in succession so you won't have to wade through one big blog.
I figure the best place to start is to explain the name and then I'll do birth, and such.




Mark and I had a lot of searching for names, but one of the main criteria we had was that we wanted a name to mean something. One of the pastor's who we knew in DC had a big emphasis on this with his own kids-picking names that he could explain to them and had significance. We see this a lot in Scripture-especially with re-naming of people typically to address either big changes in identity.

When we first found out we were pregnant and it was a little girl (Surprise!) we did some reading and came across the passage that is on our blog Isaiah 44:1-5....with this in mind, we wanted a name that had to do with water, because the Spirit here is likened to water poured out over Jacob's descendants that brings blessings. So! We searched and searched and came across the name Kyla, which is Gaelic and means "strait of water, beautiful." This just about fit perfectly. We poked around for a few other names, but this is the one that made the most sense. We wanted Kyla to know that she is a blessing from the Lord and through the Spirit can bring blessings to others just like water brings new life to the land... (and be beautiful ;-)

Kaye is my middle name and my mom's middle name and I was happy to carry on the tradition!

So that is a bit of a story behind the name.

1 comment:

Jessica Anderson said...

so fun to hear the origin of her name! thanks for posting!