Freetime.
I have found some of it :) And the process have read a few books and seen a few movies (well, ok, one book and one movie). I didn't find that much...
Here are my thoughts:
book:
Heft by Liz Moore.
This was a thought provoking book. It follows the unlikely lives of two people, one a morbidly obese housebound ex-professor; the other a high school student with big talent but lots of things to overcome.
The unique voice that the author has given each character is very touching. I also think she did a really thoughtful job portraying the struggles of the professor and the long process he partook to end up where he was (housebound and unable to really live).
Not a super hard read, but one worth the time.
movie:
Les Mis.
Ok. So I have to caveat this by saying this is my favorite musical. Of all time. And by favorite, I mean, favorite like I have the whole two disc original London cast recording memorized. Really memorized. Including the intervening dialogue.
Needless to say, I was interested to see how this would measure up, and I was curious to see if I would make it without signing during the movie.
On the second point, I did manange not to sing, but don't judge me if I lip-synced the whole thing.
On the first point, I came out somewhere in the middle.
The story is timeless and heart-wrenching. Anyone could say the words and sing the songs and the sadness and redemtion would somehow come through; that being said, some were able to say it better than others.
Points:
1. Russell Crowe cannot sing. I found my opinion of him as an actor, and yes, a man rapidly declining as he shouted at me and ruined some of the most powerful songs in the movie.
2. The original Jean Val Jean (the bishop) should have gotten a bigger role :)
3. Marius is, alas, quite beautiful. But his friends could sing better than he could
4. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway did the best of the actors, in the attempting to sing arena.
5. Eponine was the original Miss Saigon, and yes she can sing.
6. See the movie; it is worth the time even if the singing isn't quite up to snuff.
And bring some tissues.
A Lot of tissues.
Like a lot. really.


1 comment:
I just read this posting on Les Mis and I too am one of those people that has the entire symphonic recording memorized. The story is so beautiful and I usually weep from start to finish. I thought Hugh Jackman did a really good job and I was so excited that they gave Colm Wilkinson the part of the bishop and included him in the final scene. Only a true Les Mis fan would have noticed Colm as the bishop. :-) Russell Crowe was so awful but I was expecting that by the time I saw the movie. so disappointing that they would cast him in that role. Marius brought me to tears in Empty Chairs at Empty Tables but his voice sounded like Kermit the Frog in many of his songs. Loved Eponine. The toughest part for me was all of the lyric changes. I know the show so well that I noticed every single time they changed a lyric. it was A LOT! Did you noticed that too? it will always be my favorite musical of all time.
Post a Comment