Wow! Swimming while asleep - now that is a talent! It's awesome that you got her in the pool. Baby K torpedo was super cute.
We had an opportunity to put Aiden in a pool last week but I was too nervous about all that chlorine. It turns out that I'm a persnickety mom - who knew?
Did you put sunscreen on her? Everyone I talk to says it's just fine to have babies out in the sunlight for a little while each day. But, our pediatrician is the sunlight nazi! She says, absolutely no exposure whatsoever. Isn't that nuts?
The chlorine will probably help to kill some of the germs from when our coondog licks her in the mouth. And, she's wearing a long sleeved rashgaurd, so, good on all fronts.
It was a pretty overcast day too so that was good...as for sunscreen/sun exposure, there are mixed thoughts on it. The AAP just came out with a statement saying that all breastfed babies need Vit. D supplementation because of lack of sun exposure, but you gotta balance that with risks of sun exposure...most think that baby sunscreen on small amounts of skin isn't any harm and that getting out in the sun is still a good thing...Plus it seems the more we find out about Vit. D. the better it sounds for both babes and adults!
I have found the AAP to be a pretty good resource and it typically is a pretty safe bet...here are a few links if interested... http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/pages/Vitamin-D-and-Your-Baby.aspx http://www.healthychildren.org/English/news/Pages/Summer-Safety-Tips-Part-I.aspx
Next time you're by a pool Aiden will have to take his first swim!!! :-) I imagine he'll do great and I would say you're not persnickity just doing a good job being a safe mom!
8 comments:
Wow! Swimming while asleep - now that is a talent! It's awesome that you got her in the pool. Baby K torpedo was super cute.
We had an opportunity to put Aiden in a pool last week but I was too nervous about all that chlorine. It turns out that I'm a persnickety mom - who knew?
Did you put sunscreen on her? Everyone I talk to says it's just fine to have babies out in the sunlight for a little while each day. But, our pediatrician is the sunlight nazi! She says, absolutely no exposure whatsoever. Isn't that nuts?
The chlorine will probably help to kill some of the germs from when our coondog licks her in the mouth. And, she's wearing a long sleeved rashgaurd, so, good on all fronts.
It was a pretty overcast day too so that was good...as for sunscreen/sun exposure, there are mixed thoughts on it. The AAP just came out with a statement saying that all breastfed babies need Vit. D supplementation because of lack of sun exposure, but you gotta balance that with risks of sun exposure...most think that baby sunscreen on small amounts of skin isn't any harm and that getting out in the sun is still a good thing...Plus it seems the more we find out about Vit. D. the better it sounds for both babes and adults!
I have found the AAP to be a pretty good resource and it typically is a pretty safe bet...here are a few links if interested...
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/pages/Vitamin-D-and-Your-Baby.aspx
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/news/Pages/Summer-Safety-Tips-Part-I.aspx
Next time you're by a pool Aiden will have to take his first swim!!! :-) I imagine he'll do great and I would say you're not persnickity just doing a good job being a safe mom!
LOOK at you all! I'm so impressed and aim to teach our baby girl to 'swim' early too-- how about in the Caribbean sea in January? Too risky? Mwoohaha!
We give Aiden Vitamin D supplement drops every day because he doesn't get much sunlight.
Honestly, I never thought I'd have to worry about sunscreen with my children - but then I went and married an Irish guy! Go figure.
Ooof, this conversation about vit D is reminding me that i STILL haven't bought those drops for ry!
a swim sounds SO great...wish boston had some easily accessible pools!!!
I finally bought some...Kyla promptly spit it all up over her shirt...
I think she is now getting the hang of it though!
We were lucky, for some reason Aiden really likes the taste of his. We use Enfamil Trivisol. It smells sweet and he loves it!
Post a Comment