Thursday, April 05, 2012

Glorious Victory!!!


Haha. So not so much.
Sorry for the radio silence, kind of had a lot going on there for a while.
Anyways. So no, glorious victory isn't quite how the race went, but wanted to fill you guys in.
Let's start with the brief recap:
1. BEAUTIFUL day and course-couldn't have been better
2. Didn't cry during the race
3. Finished sans walking
4. *May* have puked once I got back to the house
5. Had so much fun hanging out with the peeps who came with us
6. Definitely signing up next year.


Our friends had rented a townhouse here and it was great. 3 full bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, a fully stocked kitchen, access to a park and a hot tub, and walking distance to downtown.
It was the perfect homebase for all of us runners. We got to Moab on Friday afternoon and had some good pre-race carb loading in the form of spaghetti.
The crew was a mixed bunch-all but Mark and one other hubby ran the race, so the dads at home took childcare duties so the rest of us could run.
The race itself was just gorgeous-along the river into the town of Moab with some sun, a bit of breeze, and these spectacular rock formations.

Here's a shot of a few of us prerace:

See? Look-don't we look so happy???
I'm going to exclude the post-race shot only because I can't find one.
Right.

But really, I had never run a half marathon before and I felt GREAT the first 11 miles. I mean, super great.

Then the last two miles.

wow.

That's all I have to say. The race pics are all from the last two miles.
Please note, I won't be purchasing any said photos.


After my therapeutic nap and special time in the bathroom, I re-aquainted myself with my little peanut (who is so cute!) so her dad and the other nice dad could go mountain biking on the slick rock trails. Seems like a fair trade off right?



We were enjoying the swings that were in the little attached park....



The dads who watched the kiddos during the run...ask Mark about his shirt.




Grillin' on the porch afterwards.


On the evening of our epic run, we spent some quality time in the hot tub, hung out and chatted, and I, of course, fell asleep.

We got an early start the next day and drove back through a blizzard to get home.
So Much. Fun.

I think I learned a few things about this run. I should have added a few more long runs (15 miles at least). I was surprised how hard the last two miles were because my 10 mile runs had been easy breezy.
I loved my shoes. They were GREAT.
This was a super fun and well organized race.

We will try to rent it again next year...

Until then, plod on plodders!!

1 comment:

jana said...

so! fun!

you planning on running/training for a marathon anytime soon?

i miss running SO MUCH! now when i run...it's because it's raining out or some other necessity and i have to hold my belly the entire time. lame. ;) hope to get back in the game oh...by the year 2025.