Saturday, December 31, 2011

Holiday Reads.


So in case you didn't know, I still love my Kindle.
Have been reading some non-fiction. Usually I say I hate non-fiction, but this time around, a few people recommended some books to me and I figured I should give it a chance.
And it makes me feel extra-smug because not only am I reading but I LEARNING too. Haha. right. If only I could actually remember everything important that I read :-)

1. Unbroken

I cannot say enough about this story. It will blow your mind. The author (Laura Hillenbrand) first gained her reputation through Seabiscuit. Another non-fiction book I loved despite the fact that I only rarely ride horses and NEVER watch them race. She has a real talent for not only telling history but also telling a story, and this one is about an extraordinary man who's will to survive will overwhelm you.
Don't miss this one. Seriously.

2. The Emperor of All Maladies

I can't remember who suggested this one to me, but I am very grateful. It is a book by a heme/onc dr who originally set out to describe patient-based stories that he encountered during his training but ultimately found a story behind theirs based on the origin and development of our modern understanding of cancer and its treatment. It is a bit techy at times, but I still think relatively accessible to the non-medical person. I think the book essentially demonstrates a few key facts, one, working together across medical fields gets you further, two, cancer is pretty awful, three we have SO MUCH more to learn in the field of medicine. This book is just a glimpse into the vast void of knowledge that essentially keeps getting deeper the further in we get.

3. Look me in the Eye

This was recommended by one of my friends who knows a lot about autism. An interesting autobiography written by a man with Asperger's syndrome (but who wasn't diagnosed until much later in life). Asperger's syndrome is considered an autism spectrum disorder, typically characterized by people who lack some of the normal social integration skills that allow for "typical" relationships but who often have some sort of extreme intellectual gift. Written through the lens of a high-functioning individual it gives a pretty real view of the world he encountered and the difficulties of figuring out how to fit in.


I also squeezed in a few fiction books...I'll just briefly mention those and as always, I love suggestions.
4. Before I go To sleep

This book was for a bookclub and as we haven't met yet, I don't know what the prevailing thoughts will be. In brief, the premise of the novel is centered around a woman who suffered some sort of traumatic brain injury that has eliminated her memory-both long and short term. She wakes up every morning without knowledge of who she is, where she is, who her family is, etc. In a very Momento-type way the majority of the book details her discovery through her reading a journal that she writes and adds to each day. I think the book's strength is less its story line (sorry to the author) but the question of how do we understand our past through our memories. What I mean is, a lot of my understanding of my memories is through the lens of myself (a bit-but I have a terrible memory) but lots through what other people tell me happened. So which is the "correct" form of my memory?
There are some interesting twists and turns that make it a fairly engaging read, but although I won't spoil the ending, it left a bit to be desired.
An ideal beach read.

5. Blueprints for Building Better Girls

A collection of short stories that supposedly offers insights on the modern woman. Overall kind of just made me sad. Short, mostly lonely stories about women.

The remainder of my Kindle list is as follows:
1. The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
2. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
3. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides


Let me know what else I should be sure to read!

2 comments:

chichick said...

Hey. Thx for all the suggestions. Done with some, middle of others. Wasn't real excited by marriage plot although it got great reviews. Am loving catherine the great. Am going to download the one on autism. Again, Thx hon!!

Catie said...

I heard the same about Marriage Plot, which would be really disappointing cause I love him...but, since you read so fast, you can let me know in an afternoon if it's worth checking out :-D Judd said he loved Unbroken, too!