Sunday, May 15, 2011

Entering the Digital Age


I'll admit. I Love books. I love holding them, browsing through the book store, looking at covers, reading the back blurbs, deciding which ones to read.
And I love keeping those books, cramming bookshelf after bookshelf full of all my books, every book from college from my Shakespeare collection to my post-modern books that didn't quite make sense.
I still try to do some fun reading in between trying to keep up with my normal reading so I would usually have one or two books around the house about halfway read. The problem was I often didn't have space or remember to bring them with me to random places or to work to read while I had time.

Enter the Kindle:


I had my first mother's day recently (that was fun :-) And Mark surprised me with a Kindle.
I'll admit, at first I was skeptical. I had visions of Fahrenheit 451 where all the books disappear and no one remembers any of the stories. Then I started using it.
I immediately downloaded Tina Fey's "Bossypants." And haven't put it down since.
It is so nice to have all my books that I am reading at the same time in the same place!!!

Seriously, there is a part of me that will always love the paper books, the smell of fresh paper, buying a new book. But I have to admit, the convenience, the portability, and the flexibility of the Kindle are quite appealing.

So Thanks Mark and Kyla for bringing me into the Digital Age!!!

2 comments:

jana said...

i heard "bossypants" was excellent! let me know what you think...

i'm not sold on the kindle just yet. love the idea and everything you mentioned. but LOVE holding a book. bending the pages, etc.

i'm sure i'll get over this and enter the digital age...maybe in 2025. ;)

chichick said...

I know; I miss the feel of a book but love the convenience of having my whole library with me all the time. Fun to bip from book to book without thinking twice about it. Neat gift from your hubby and little one. :)